HVAC License Idaho- How To Get Your Idaho HVAC License?

HVAC license Idaho

If you live in Idaho and are interested in becoming a professional HVAC technician, the first step is to obtain an Idaho HVAC license. Getting this license requires satisfying specific requirements that vary from state to state. This article provides an overview of what it takes to become a certified HVAC technician in the state of Idaho and how to apply for your license. We’ll also discuss why having an Idaho HVAC license is so important for anyone working in the field.

Who needs an HVAC license in Idaho?

In Idaho, anyone working as an HVAC contractor must possess a valid Idaho license. This ensures that the contractor is qualified and knowledgeable in providing safe and quality installation and repair services for residential and commercial HVAC systems.

An Idaho license can be obtained by taking an exam that tests knowledge of HVAC systems and safety practices. Upon completing the exam, an individual will receive an Idaho license ID number that must be displayed prominently on all business cards, websites, and other marketing materials. Additionally, the ID number must also be provided to customers upon request.

With an Idaho license, individuals can legally offer services as HVAC contractors in the state.

Types of HVAC licenses in Idaho?

In Idaho, there are three different kinds of HVAC licenses and registrations.

  1. Under the supervision and guidance of a qualified HVAC contractor, an HVAC apprentice registration authorizes the installation, modification, extension, repair, or alteration of HVAC systems.
  2. With an HVAC journeyman license, you can install, modify, extend, repair, or otherwise alter HVAC systems yourself or under supervision. A certified HVAC contractor is in charge of this under their direction.
  3. A license for an HVAC contractor enables the unsupervised installation, maintenance, and repair of HVAC systems and gas-fired heating systems that need specialized venting or tubing.

Three specialty licenses are available for the above specialties.

  1. A Specialty HVAC Apprentice can perform the same work as a registered HVAC apprentice but in the designated specialties.
  2. A Specialty HVAC Journeyman can do the work of a licensed HVAC professional in the designated specialties.
  3. A Specialty HVAC Contractor can do the work of an HVAC technician and train and mentor apprentices and journeymen in specialty fields.

Before applying for a journeyman’s license, you must register as an apprentice and complete the requirements.

Licensing requirements for HVAC certification in Idaho

HVAC Apprentice

  • At least 18 years old;
  • Submit a licensing application that has been notarized.
  • A Social Security Number is required.
  • You need to provide a copy of your government-issued identification (passport, driver’s license, military ID).
  • There is a $10 registration charge.
  • Until you complete your four-year apprenticeship, you must renew your apprentice registration yearly and pay the $50 renewal fee.

HVAC Journeyman

  • A board-approved 4-year apprenticeship must be completed with at least 8,000 hours of work experience and 576 hours of classroom instruction. You will become a registered HVAC apprentice, making HVAC installations on the job under the supervision of an HVAC journeyman.
  • An HVAC apprentice who completes a full-time, academic-year HVAC training program may be eligible for credit for up to one year of work experience.
  • Send in a notarized application for a license.
  • You will need a Social Security Number.
  • A copy of your legal identification (Passport, Driver’s License, Military ID) is required.
  • The $35 application fee is due.
  • You will need to pay $75 to pass the exam as designated by the board.
  • Pay $75 annually to renew your license.

HVAC Contractor

  • The board must be satisfied with proof that the HVAC journeyman has been legally employed for at least 24 consecutive months.
  • Send in a notarized application for a license.
  • You will need a social security number.
  • A copy of your legal identification (Driver’s License or Passport, Military ID) is required.
  • The $35 application fee is due.
  • You will need to pay $75 to pass the exam as designated by the board.
  • You must provide a $2,000 compliance bond for the contractor license period.
  • Renewal of license required. $150 annual fee.

HVAC Specialist Apprentice

  • At least 18 years old;
  • Your age must be at least 16 years old and show proof of registration with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Apprenticeship.
  • Send in a notarized application for a license.
  • Continue enrollment in or complete a training program approved and maintained by the board.
  • Under the supervision of a certified HVAC specialty journeyman or HVAC journeyman, work in HVAC.
  • You will need a Social Security Number.
  • A copy of your legal identification (Passport, Driver’s License, Military ID) is required.
  • Register for $20
  • Renewal of license required.

HVAC Specialty Journeyman

1. Hearth

  • You must have one year of experience in the trade or as a registered HVAC specialty apprentice or registered HVAC apprenticeship-making installations under the supervision of a qualified HVAC specialist journeyman or HVAC journeyman.
  • Complete a board-approved training course, such as the National Fireplace Institute program, and at least 60 hours of education on fuel gas code or piping installation methods.

2. Waste Oil

  • Need to take one year of experience in installing waste oil heating under the guidance of an HVAC Waste Oil Heating specialist journeyman.
  • To be certified as an HVAC waste oil specialty voyage, applicants must pass a certification exam or certification by a waste burner manufacturer.

3. Fuel Gas Piping

  • Get 1 year of working experience in the trade or being a registered HVAC apprentice or registered HVAC specialty apprentice making installations under the supervision of a qualified HVAC journeyman or qualified HVAC specialty journeyman.
  • Successfully completed 60 hours of training in fuel gas code or piping installation methods.
  • Pass the examination as directed by the board.

4. LP Limited Heating

  • Complete the 120 hours of instruction approved by the board of professional-technical education in LP gas specialty education.
  • You need two years of experience in the field or as a registered HVAC specialty apprentice or registered HVAC apprenticeship making HVAC installations under the supervision of a qualified HVAC specialist journeyman.
  • Pass the examination as directed by the board.
  • Send in a completed application for a license.
  • You will need a Social Security Number.
  • A copy of your legal identification (Passport, Driver’s License, Military ID) is required.
  • The $35 application fee is due.
  • Pay $75 annually to renew your license.

HVAC Specialty Contractor

  • For the contractor license period, you must provide a $2,000 compliance bond.
  • The board must be satisfied with proof that you have legally worked as an HVAC specialist journeyman for at most 24 months.
  • Successfully complete the exam as directed by the board.
  • Send in a complete application.
  • The $35 application fee is due.
  • Renewal of license required. $150 annual fee.

Insurance requirements for HVAC contractors in Idaho

HVAC contractors are required to have insurance to operate safely and legally. Insurance requirements vary by state but typically include general liability, workers’ compensation, property damage, and auto insurance.

General liability protects you from bodily injury or damage claims while working on a customer’s property. Workers’ compensation provides coverage for employees in the event of an injury on the job. Property damage covers any physical damage caused by the contractor while performing their duties.

Finally, auto insurance is necessary if the HVAC contractor uses vehicles in their business operations; this could include trucks and vans used to transport tools and equipment. HVAC contractors must stay up-to-date with all applicable insurance requirements so they can protect themselves, their employees, and their customers from potential liabilities.

Idaho HVAC licensing and registration fees

The costs for registration and licensing are:

  • $35 for the application for an Idaho HVAC journeyman license; $50 for the HVAC apprentice registration
  • $35 is the application fee for HVAC contractors.
  • $75 for each renewal of a license
  • For a late renewal, $110
  • The Pearson VUE exam costs $100.

Idaho HVAC technician licensing exam details

The Division of Building Safety administers all HVAC licensing exams. Call (800) 955-3044 to schedule a test at least two weeks before the date you wish to take it. Each test has a limited number of seats, so you might not get your first choice.

Each type of license has an exam that costs $75. All exams are open-book.

Exams have different time limits.

  • Idaho HVAC Contractor’s Examination — 4 Hours
  • Idaho HVAC Journeyman’s Examination — 4 Hours
  • Idaho HVAC Hearth Specialty Journeyman’s Exam — 3 Hours
  • Idaho HVAC Waste Oil Specialty Journeyman’s Exam — 2 Hours
  • Idaho HVAC Fuel Gas Piping Specialist Journeyman’s Exam — 2 Hours

Approved Refers

Here is a list with approved reference material. Please bring your own copies. You can find the exams in the 2018 or 2012 code books. Your scheduler will need to know which exam you are planning to take.

  • Current Idaho HVAC Statutes and Rules (available online and at a DBS Office)
  • The Law Reference Manual and Business Guide for Division of Building Safety Contractors (available online and at DBS offices)
  • 2012 International Mechanical Code, 2018 International Mechanical Gas Code
  • 2012 International Fuel Gas Code, 2018 International Fuel Gas Code

The exam will take place on a computer in one of the regional offices.

Meridian Office 1090 E. Watertower St. Ste. 150 Meridian, ID 83642 Hours of Operation: M-F 8:30 - 5 p.m. (MST).

Coeur d’ Alene Office 1250 Ironwood Dr., Ste. 220 Coeur d’ Alene, ID 83814 Office Hours: M-F 7-4 (PST)

Blackfoot Office, 155 N. Maple St. Blackfoot ID 83221 Office Hours M-F 8-5 (MST).

Idaho HVAC training programs and schools

Two leading organizations currently approve HVAC schools and programs in the United States: HVAC Excellence and Partnership for Heating, Refrigeration Accreditation.

At this point, PAHRA does not have accreditation for any Idaho schools. HVAC Excellence has approved two schools:

  • College of Southern Idaho, Twin Falls
  • Lewis-Clark State College, Lewiston

Tuition: The cost of tuition varies depending on which school you choose. The College of Southern Idaho offers an Air Conditioning-Refrigeration and Heat Associate of Applied Science degree with 60 credits, an eight-credit basic technical certificate, and a 32.5-credit intermediate technical certificate. For in-district students, it costs $140 per credit, $190 for students outside the district, and $285 for foreign and out-of-state students.

North Idaho College also offers an HVAC apprenticeship program. The program is four-year and costs approximately $1,500 annually. Before they start school, most apprentices work as contractors.

The Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Apprenticeship Program at Lewis-Clark State College consists of 64 credits. It is intended for students who are currently employed in the trade. The Associate in Applied Science diploma will be awarded. The tuition cost for a full-time resident of Idaho is approximately $3,500 per semester. A non-resident student will pay approximately $10,000.

Apprenticeship: Job postings on Indeed and ZipRecruiter for entry-level HVAC jobs are often called “apprenticeship positions.” Your employer will pay tuition as long as you work hard and get good grades. You may also consider pursuing a union apprenticeship or connecting with one via the Idaho Department of Labor’s apprentice website. This meets the national standards for registration with the U.S. Department of Labor. Your credentials will be accepted everywhere because apprenticeships through the Department of Labor can be recognized nationwide.

Prerequisites for the program: You must be at least 18 years old and possess a high school diploma or GED.

Experience on the Job: The job requires you to be a good customer service representative, detail-oriented, have mechanical ability, and be fit as the job involves heavy lifting, standing, and walking in tight spaces.

EPA certification in Idaho

EPA certification is mandatory for all HVAC technicians and contractors in the U.S., according to Section 608 of the Clean Air Act. To get an EPA certification, applicants must pass an EPA-approved exam with a Core Test section.

Four types of EPA certificates are available: Type I, II, III, and Universal. Type I allows the service of small appliances, while Type II enables the service of high-pressure or very high-pressure machines, except for small appliances and MVACs. Type III allows servicing and disposal of low-pressure appliances, while universal certification allows servicing of all equipment types.

It is worth noting that EPA certification does not expire, and apprentices are not required to complete this certification under the supervision of a licensed journeyman or contractor in Idaho. Those who want to increase their potential for a higher annual salary can consider getting the North American Technician Excellence certification.

Benefits of becoming an HVAC professional in Idaho

The benefits of obtaining an HVAC license in Idaho are numerous. With an HVAC license, you will have a competitive edge in the job market. You will be able to demonstrate your knowledge and expertise in the HVAC industry and stand out among other applicants.

Furthermore, with a valid license, you can work on larger projects and increase your earning potential. Additionally, having a license can give you exclusive discounts on tools and parts from various suppliers. It can also open doors to additional training opportunities that will help you stay up-to-date with the latest trends in the industry.

Finally, having an HVAC license can provide peace of mind knowing that you are an officially certified technician who meets all the requirements for working in Idaho.


Does my Idaho HVAC license work in any other state?

No, an Idaho HVAC license does not work in any other state. Each state has its own licensing requirements, so even if you have an Idaho HVAC license, it will not be recognized in other states. Obtaining a valid license requires specific education and training unique to each state and must be completed before applying for the license. An Idaho HVAC license proves that you have the necessary knowledge and skills to work as an HVAC technician in the state of Idaho, but it does not transfer to other states. In order to legally perform HVAC work outside of Idaho, you must obtain the appropriate license from that particular state.

How do Idaho HVAC and specialty contractors file their bond?

Idaho HVAC and specialty contractors must file a bond before starting work in the state. A bond is a form of financial guarantee that the contractor will fulfill their obligations to the customer. It also provides compensation for any damages caused by the contractor during their work. The bond must be filed with the Idaho Department of Finance and Administration, which then issues an original certificate of surety indicating the amount of coverage provided. All Idaho HVAC and specialty contractors must maintain their bonds until they cease operations within the state. This ensures that customers are protected from any potential fraudulent activities or negligence by the HVAC contractor while on the job.

Why do you need an Idaho HVAC contractor bond?

An Idaho HVAC contractor bond is a surety bond required to become an Idaho HVAC contractor. It assures customers that the contractor is qualified and capable of performing quality HVAC work, including air conditioning repair and installation. The bond guarantees that all work performed by the contractor will meet the Idaho Department of Labor & Industries requirements. The bond also protects customers from financial losses due to poor or incomplete HVAC services.

Does a handyman need a license in Idaho?

In Idaho, it depends on the job a handyman performs. A handyman doesn’t need a license to complete minor repair jobs such as painting, carpentry, and general repairs. However, if the job requires more complex electrical or plumbing work, then the handyman will need to have a contractor’s license to do the job legally in Idaho. A contractor’s license is needed for any job that involves significant changes to an existing structure, such as adding a room or altering plumbing or electrical systems. To receive their license, contractors must register with the state’s Contractor Registration Database and pass specific exams. This ensures safety and quality standards are met when undertaking larger projects.

What is the cost to get an HVAC license in Idaho?

To get a contractor’s license in Idaho, you must first apply for the license and provide all required documents. The cost of a contractor’s license will vary depending on the license you are applying for. Generally speaking, an Idaho contractor license application costs around $125 for non-residential contractors and around $50 for residential contractors. In addition to the application fee, you may also be required to pay a bonding fee and any additional fees related to the type of work you will be performing. Before applying, ensure you have all the necessary paperwork completed and any certificates or licenses that your area’s licensing board may require. Once you’ve paid the appropriate fees, your contractor’s license should be issued in a few weeks.

How long does it take to get an Idaho contractor’s license?

Getting an Idaho Contractors License is a process that will take some time, depending on the type of license you are looking to obtain. For example, if you wish to take the free HVAC Journeyman license exam in Idaho, you must have at least four years of experience in the field before you can qualify. If you want to take the specialty journeyman license exams, it will require one to two years of experience instead. Finally, if your goal is to own your own HVAC business, you must complete two additional years of qualification before being eligible for HVAC or specialty contractor licenses. In all cases, ensure you meet all requirements set forth by the state and local authorities before attempting any exams for a contractor’s license in Idaho.

Does the Idaho DBS require continuing education for an HVAC journeyman and contractor?

The Idaho Division of Building Safety (DBS) does not require continuing education for HVAC journeymen or HVAC contractors. However, the DBS encourages individuals to stay updated with industry standards and practices. This can be done by attending seminars, trade shows, and other educational events related to HVAC. Additionally, there are a variety of resources available online that provide information on the most up-to-date safety and installation practices. By keeping up with current trends in the industry, a contractor can ensure that their work meets all applicable codes and regulations. Furthermore, staying informed will help protect the customer from any potential issues. Although the DBS does not require continuing education for HVAC professionals, it is highly recommended for those who want to remain competitive.

ServiceFolder Logo
Try Now

ServiceFolder's field service scheduling software free plan is perfect for small businesses with up to three people or less. It includes time tracking, scheduling, and mobile app features that make it one of the best mobile field service management software solutions for small businesses available. It is perfect for any small business company within the field service industry that wants to use technology to increase performance and productivity.